Missouri

7/21/2008 08:46:00 AM 2 Comments »
My granddad died a few days ago. He was my dad's father. When my mom called to tell me, she described how sad that my dad was. It was at that point that I knew I had to go to Missouri with him. My mom and dad flew out Saturday morning, and my sister and I flew out Saturday afternoon. After a layover in Phoenix, my sister and I arrived in St Louis with a three hour drive ahead of us. Thank God there was a White Castle open all night, since we arrived at midnight and had an issue at the car rental place. So we started our journey at 1am. We got to the hotel at about 4am, and slept only until about 8:30. The viewing and masonic ceremony was yesterday, and the funeral is today. It is always interesting being around this family because we never see any of them. And really, I was somewhat disowned when I had a baby with a black man and married him. Noone is saying anything outright, but I know its there. I keep reminding myself that I am here for my father, and that's it. But there's a small part of me that wants to hit someone. I'll write later about my aunt who wore bootie shorts, a white shirt, and glittery flip-flops to the viewing and ceremony. Yeah, wow.
Peace Out,
Mom

2 comment/s:

Smirking Cat said...

Family can be a major source of stress. Hang in there. My father's funeral was a fiasco because of "colorful" family members, and I had to let it all just fall off of me or they'd make me crazy too.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you for being there for your dad. I can't wait to hear the rest of the story. :)