Many Boys

7/02/2008 01:05:00 PM 4 Comments »
Today, I have five boys in my home. I will still have those boys when I take them to the County Fair tomorrow for "Pay One Price Day." One of them is a boy from our old apartments that often comes to visit. His mom said it was too hard to raise him, so she shipped him off to Chicago to stay with his dad. When he comes back to San Diego to visit, he calls us when his plane lands and is usually at our house within a day of arriving. He then usually spends most of the time at my house. I love him. I have told my husband many times that I would adopt him if I could. I picked him up last night. He arrived Monday morning and spent Monday and Tuesday in daycare. He is 12, almost 13. His mother kept his little brother living at home, so she sent D to the same daycare that his little brother is at while she's at work. She didn't take any time off from work. WTF???? He comes about every six months or so, and every time, she doesn't take time off from work. When he's here, she doesn't call to see how he is, and she always expresses gratitude. When he's not here, I have passed her in the halls at the college, and she pretends that she doesn't know me.
I know that I am not a perfect mom. Believe me, I know. I screw up. However, I can't imagine shipping my son off and then not taking time off when he visits. It makes my heart hurt.
The other boy lives across the way and his mom works a lot. So he is here every day and a lot of nights. He calls me mom. I kinda love him, too.
I always wanted more kids-I just didn't realize that they would come to me as boys, on the brink of manhood. I want them all to grow up to be responsible, loving men. I feel a responsibility to all of them to teach them the importance of education and responsibility. I want them to know that it is important to love and care for each other. It's hard being a woman in a sea of burdgeoning testosterone.
Peace Out,
Mom

4 comment/s:

Smirking Cat said...

I grew up with 3 brothers, so the "sea of testosterone" is familiar to me! I had a lot of fun, but I always sort of wanted a sister. My brothers were cool, shhh, I never tell them that!

Well-heeled mom said...

Oh Dear. That woman should be bitch slapped.

Anonymous said...

Five boys? Whoa! You are one brave chick...with a very big heart.

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

I agree with the bitch-slapping. It's crossed my mind many times, but I'm always afraid of pissing her off. It's a feeling I'm not used to because normally, I don't care what people think. I'm just afraid that if I piss her off, she won't allow D to come over anymore. And that would break my heart.