Back To School

7/14/2008 09:14:00 AM 4 Comments »

Today, MO and MM went back to school. MO went to his first day of high school, and MM went to his first day of middle school. Tomorrow will be the first day of kindergarten for Little Man. This is a busy back-to-school time for our family with a lot of transitions for us to work out, which is why I took the summer off from the Writing Center. We have to figure out what our schedules are going to look like and how we are going to handle it. I really wanted to keep little man out of daycare this year. However, that's going to be pretty hard. Here in wonderful San Diego, kinder is still only half a day. He will be going to the afternoon class, which means he goes from about 11-2. Not too long, right? I need to get my schedule at the Writing Center worked out so that I can drop him off, and work for a while, and be home for the big boys. My wonderful husband did homework with them all last year and I think he's a bit burned out. I'm better at that sort of thing. ;-)
Anyway, I'm trying to not worry about the big boys at their new big schools. I really hope MM makes friends. Psychologists say that the most difficult transition for kids is the one between elementary school and middle school. They are going from a small group of kids that they've known for 7 years to a huge pool of kids from all around. Ugh! Still, I'll try not to worry too much. :-I
Peace Out,
Mom

4 comment/s:

Anonymous said...

They start school in July? You must be on a year-round schedule.

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

Yup! Year-round and I love it!!! When everyone else goes back to school, we get our Fall break. That's the best time to take our family vacations. The weather is mild and there are less people to deal with. That's when we go camping, to theme parks...and other places where there are crowds and/or reservations.

Smirking Cat said...

When do the kids get out of school with the year-round schedule? It's probably a really good idea, so kids don't lose so much ground over the summer.

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

They get out of school at the same time-June 20th-ish. I love it.