The Oldest

8/06/2008 11:36:00 AM 3 Comments »
My oldest has decided to run cross country this year instead of football, which makes me very happy. He is very fast, and his body is made for running.

Everyday, when he gets home from practice, we ask him if he has any homework, and to that, his usual reply is "no." Yesterday, I asked to see his binders. Then, I told him that I would be emailing his instructors to check on his progress. At that point, he broke down and started to cry. He said that he is having problems in his second year Spanish class, and is just not understanding. He was afraid to tell us. That sucks. I told him that we just want him to succeed, and we want to make it possible for him to do that. I recommended that he go to his counselor tomorrow and ask if he can move down to Spanish 1-2. He's afraid that if they make the change, they will change all of his classes and he won't be in classes with his friends anymore. I can understand that, since it is his first year of high school and would definitely be stressful if he was alone in that big school.

I wanted to go to the school on his behalf and talk to the counselor myself, but he wanted to do it himself first. The next step is me going over there. I hope that this works out for him. His tears made me sad and brought back my high school issues. It sucks to be a teenager.
Peace Out,
Mom

3 comment/s:

Well-heeled mom said...

You are right to not want him to struggle. I hope this works out.

ABB said...

Well if your son needs some out-of-class help, he should go to www.spanishdict.com.

They just added a huge reference section with grammar explanations, vocabulary and etc. Their dictionary is spot on too.

I hope he's okay--Spanish is hard. You have to spend at least an hour on it everyday.

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

Thank you, Lala! And WHM, isn't it hard to see our little guys struggle??? ;-) He talked to the instructor and he will be getting after school tutoring with the teacher. They seem to think he'll be fine. I'm okay as long as he's okay! ;-) Being a tutor myself, I realize the importance of getting help when you need it. It is important to me that he realizes all of the options available to him and takes advantage of them!