Homework

8/05/2008 03:57:00 PM 3 Comments »
My little man (kinder) has so much homework that we are doing it for at least two hours every day after school. He has an albhabet workbook that he has to color and cut out pictures from magazines for every day-one letter each day. He also has a homework packet that is sent home on Monday and due Friday. This packet consists of 11 worksheets that vary in activities from cutting/coloring to writing. He also has a family activity that is due every other week. He also has a book that he checks out every week from the library, which comes with specific instructions for us to do with him each day. Now, I am not against homework. I like doing homework with him; I really do. However, he is just a little dude. I don't think that this much homework is necessary in kinder, especially since he is only in class half day-three hours. We are doing more work at home than they are doing in class. It really is time-consuming. Am I being a bad mom because I am complaining about sitting at the homework table for three hours every afternoon? Or does anyone else think this is A LOT of homework for a five year old????
Peace Out,
Mom

3 comment/s:

Anonymous said...

Can he not do it without your constant supervision? Usually teachers give homework that they have covered in class. I used to cook and semi-supervise homework at the same time, answering questions every few minutes but not constantly hovering.

Well-heeled mom said...

Wow. That seems extreme to me. My son didn't have much homework last year. I only remember a handful of times. Here, teachers don't assign actual "homework" until about fourth grade. I taught third grade, and my kids only had homework if they couldn't finish in class.

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

He went to a preschool that was more new-age and free-flowing than what I would have liked. They stressed socialization and learning through activities-which I did like. However, this has left him lacking. We should have worked with him more-and now that is obvious. But no-he can't do it without one of us doing it with him. He is the baby, and we all are guilty of babying him. The older two went to kinder with much more under their belts. And-this is kinder, where class is 3 hours. The homework is absolutely not what they went over in class. It is much more.