Back To School

8/22/2008 01:39:00 PM 3 Comments »
Monday, the college opened. Because we are in a recession, and because our school's budget has been hacked by at least 15 percent, our writing center won't open until the third week of school. We will also be operating with a skeleton crew and limited hours of operation. I have about ten fewer hours a week than I did last year. It hurts. I am already working a few part-time jobs.

I am working in the college bookstore for the first couple weeks of school until the center opens.

I am also piloting a new Power study group for English classes this semester. I am so excited. I started this week, and it really is a great opportunity for me.

Although I was accepted to the University, I had to put that on hold while we work through the changes that are happening with our family. It is frustrating because I would really like to be teaching classes of my own. Life happens, you know?

I hope our economy pulls out of this slump soon. We've already lost over 150 thousand dollars on our house. We now owe more than our house is worth. Our mortgage payment is over 3300 dollars. Every time we make a payment, a little part of me dies. I think it's the part of me that really wants to go on a Disney cruise. ;-)

Peace Out,
Mom

3 comment/s:

Away2me (Deanna) said...

I totally know what you are going through on the housing thing. Our home is down $100,000- $150,000. Taxes got re- assessed which is good, but not as good as the value holding.

This too shall pass! Hopefully soon.

Well-heeled mom said...

Housing is the only thing holding it's value here, but sales are slow right now.

Housing and gas, that is.

Ugh.

Bloggy said...

You only lose money when you sell it. Sit tight, and eventually, it'll regain some value. You'll also gain equity.

And yeah, the budget crunch at work SUCKS!