Faith

2/04/2007 01:43:00 PM 2 Comments »
I've recently returned to church. I thought it was time to give the kids somewhere to go...I thought it was a good idea that they have a good foundation, other than the one that we have already laid for them. I like going to church. It doesn't take much time out of your day, it makes you feel good, and every time I leave there, I feel like I've learned something that I can use in my life.

I've made some observations the last couple of weeks since I started going to church. Because I am surrounded by intellectuals, our conversations often turn to religion and other hot topics. I consider myself a liberal-Most, if not all, of the people I surround myself with are liberals. Most don't have any kind of belief system in place. Really. They think its foolish that I "waste my time" with it. These are the same people that don't believe in Marriage. SO, I've now made the correlation between not believing in God and not believing in marriage. I believe it's a lack of faith.

I feel like I'm surrounded by people that can't put their faith in another person or relationship, and definitely cannot put their faith in a higher power. I don't really know how to feel about it. I feel a little sorry for them. Not because I have that whole "My religion is better than yours" thing going on, but because I feel like you have to put your faith into someone else sometimes. You have to be able to believe that if you falter, someone else will be there to help you out. If you don't, I think it could be a heavy burden to do it all yourself. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a fiercely independent person, but I know I don't have the strength to do it all alone. It's nice to know I have someone at home, and in my heart to help me out. I have faith that there's someone upstairs who has my best interests at heart. I have faith that He/She exists without ever having seen Him/Her. I also have faith that my husband will be with me throughout the rest of my life. I believe these things. And it gives me great joy and comfort.

Main Entry: 1faith
Pronunciation: 'fAth
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural faiths /'fAths, sometimes 'fA[th]z/
Etymology: Middle English feith, from Anglo-French feid, fei, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust -- more at BIDE
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs
synonym see BELIEF
(the above was found on the Mirriam Webster online dictionary)

Peace Out,
Mom

2 comment/s:

Anonymous said...

Yup totally agree with you! I too believe there is a significant link to people who don't believe in a higher being bigger than themselves and not being able to deal with the relationships they have with people. But that is just me, personally.

We need to go back to church, but I dread the 3hrs our church takes up of our day. Wrong way to think about it I know, I think we may be looking for a more non-denominational Christian church when we get back to the states...we haven't discussed it in awhile though.

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

We are attending a non-denominational Christian church, and I am very fond of it!!! Church is about an hour and a half, and the kids really like it. They get upset when we can't go for whatever reason.