On the Brink...

10/25/2008 01:29:00 PM 2 Comments »
Last year, around this time, my heart was racing as I felt the dread of losing my home to the fires that were raging through our county. We, with anxieties mounting, watched the news as our community members grabbed loved ones and precious belongings and fled into an angry, flaming night, fearing for their lives. We were lucky. While we did get the news that we should be prepared, and we could see the flames tickling the hills near our home, we were safe. Our van sat five feet from our back door, loaded with a bag for each of us, our wedding pictures, insurance papers, and food and shelter for our animals. We were convinced that we weren't worried about losing our home, as long as our family was safe.

Now, a year later, that sense of anxiety is mounting again, but this time, it's because those around us are losing their jobs and their homes. You might have heard that Mervyns filed for bankruptcy, but what you might not know is that my mom and all of my adopted "aunties" have worked for Mervyns for 20 plus years.

The news is replete with businesses closing their doors, or employees getting laid off. If you're like me, you watch the news with a small tinge of sadness, thinking about how all of this will pan out. I know that I thought of those faceless employees and thanked God that I wasn't affected by the jobless situation.

Now, even though it hasn't yet permeated my small corner of the world in the same way it has affected others, I feel the pain and angst that plagues my mom and her friends-my aunties. These are women who don't have "formal" education. They worked their way up the ladder like so many women their age have done.

They worked in a retail store, where they began as a cashier or a stocker. They worked very hard, and proved themselves to be worthy of promotion after promotion, suffering through small raises and slave labor until they finally reached the level where they were given the opportunity to be managers and make a good salary with benefits. They reached middle age when their kids moved out and they could enjoy their salary by finally taking vacations and enjoying their husbands. They were also able to buy gifts for their families and enjoy the years prior to retirement.

Now, all of that hard work is gone. *poof!* Their 401ks are just about worthless, and they are all in their 50's, not yet ready for retirement, without a job. So without that "formal" education, and being the age that they are, what's next?

I've said before that my mom is one of the strongest women I know. She's smart and an extremely hard worker. If our country's economic situation wasn't in the dire straits that it is in now, I wouldn't be so worried. She deserves better than this.

The flames are tickling my ankles and the anxiety is mounting. It may be time again to hold everyone close and send up a prayer.

Peace Out,
Mom

2 comment/s:

Anonymous said...

You are a sweet girl-your story summed up perfectly how some of us are feeling.

Well-heeled mom said...

These are scary times, indeed. I hope something happens soon to turn things around.