Scary

12/31/2005 04:52:00 PM 0 Comments »
Yesterday, my husband went to the doctor for a regular visit to ask him about a cough that has been around for about a month. The appointment was at 3:30. At five, he called me to tell me that the doctor was advising him to go to the emergency room because he had an irregular heartbeat that was causing him concern. I threw the kids in the mommy wagon and drove them to my parents so that I could be with him in the emergency room.
Was I worried?
Hell yes, I was worried. My man, my love, the strongest man I know was having heart problems?
Soon after I arrived, we were called to the back. They hooked up an IV, stuck heart monitors to his chest, put a blood pressure monitor on his arm, an oxygen indicator on his finger, and put an oxygen tube under his nose.
What in the hell?
Here was my rock, MY stability, hooked up to a bunch of monitors. I promise you, I did not think any less of him, I just sat there hurting for him. He hadn't been in a hospital since he had his tonsils out as a child. He believes himself to be Superman, who the hell was the doctor to tell him otherwise?
We were able to go home many hours later. They said his blood pressure was pretty high, and he has to see a cardiologist. They gave him a bunch of pills, but not many answers.
Am I worried? A little. This is just a big wake-up for us. It's time to stop eating like we have the metabolisms of 19 year olds. It's time to get off our asses and exercise. He needs to take more vacations from work. God, what a night to make resolutions.
I wish everyone a happy and healthy New Year. Hug your family and friends extra tight, I know I will.

0 comment/s: