Grassroots Movement

3/15/2008 12:24:00 PM 1 Comment »
In the last post, I said that the other company got the recommendation from the ASO (Associated Student Organization) and they were moving forward with it. After doing a little research, we found out that it had to go before, and be approved by, the student Senate before it went on to the Governing Board. Well, after the students started hearing about it, and people expressed the distaste for what was happening, a grassroots movement built up on campus. Over 1,200 signatures were collected on my husband's behalf. We went down to the Senate meeting with the collected sigatures, and amazing amount of supporters, to give a speech and stop the vote of approval from being accepted by the Senate. After my husband read the speech that we wrote, and after I read comments about my husband that were posted about my husband on the school newspaper's site, and after all of us were crying a bit, the Senate voted to NOT accept the recommendation of the ASO.

Of course, that means the process may start all over again. We are kind of in a waiting game to see what happens now. The ASO has the option to either start all over again or just pick us. I don't have very much faith in them just picking us because I think their little egos are bruised. However, now I now what not only my husband and I are capable of, but what our student, staff, and faculty supporters are capable of. Now, the students and everyone else on campus are aware of what is going on, and they will have a voice in the process. I have hope again.

The most important thing that happened out of all of this is that we are so very proud of our friends. This was a very heartwarming experience. All of their support was amazing and that's why there were so many tears at the meeting. Just looking around and seeing all of those faces of people who love us was just so very powerful. It really felt good. Now, we are just hoping that the ASO makes the right decision next time.

Peace Out,
Mom