And then he was gone...

2/26/2008 11:33:00 PM 3 Comments »
My middle son ran away Saturday morning. We woke up and there were signs of a break in, and when I checked on the boys, he was gone. I screamed and moaned so loud, calling for him, that my oldest woke up and cried. We called the police, my parents, his friends, my sister, and his teacher. All of them converged onto my home in a panic at 7am. I have never in my life been so scared. At the time, I thought someone had taken him; I never imagined that he would want to leave. He was found a short time later by my dad at the walm*rt by my house. He had spent over 300 dollars in cash purchasing a GPS, a mess kit, a camel backpack, and other survival gear, and no one stopped him. Yeah, an 11 year old kid buying survival gear with that much cash when the store just opened is no cause for alarm.

He has been bullied at school all year. We have gone to the school many times, and while the teachers are very supportive, the Principal is not. There are two boys that spread gossip and try their damnedest to ostracize my son. They pretend he has a disease and encourage others to do the same. He has a few friends, but ultimately feels alone. Although we have gone to the school many times, nothing was done. It kept happening. My son is able to defend himself physically, but because he is the nicest boy in the universe, he is unable to understand why these boys would talk about him like this. He has the most tenderest of hearts. He says he ran away because he just couldn't take it at school anymore, and we were making him go there.

The fact that my son felt so desperate, and felt that we couldn't/wouldn't protect him, shreds my heart. I have been crying every day and trying to come to terms with how I failed him. We are still talking about it and I kept him out of school on Monday. I talked to the principal about it, but she is continuing to act like a politician instead of focusing on the needs of the school. These boys need to get the f out. My son isn't the only one being hurt. There are others. I'm tired of living in such a PC world where we tiptoe around the rights of bullies and punish those that do the right thing. I don't give a SH*t about these boys. Get them out and let the rest of the school get an education in peace.

When we asked him how the boys should be punished, he said that he didn't want them to be punished, he just wanted to be left alone. Why can't they just leave him alone? My heart hurts.

Peace Out,
Mom

3 comment/s:

Well-heeled mom said...

OMG. I am so sorry.

I agree with you - the world has become too PC and the schools have lost sight of why our children are there. We trust our kids with them for the biggest part of their day - and the schools are failing us.

I hope you find a solution. Is private school an option?

Bloggy said...

When I was younger, I would just call on my older brother to "solve" these problems for me. Worked like a charm, and really, it only has to work once.

Fantastagirl said...

I'm sorry this is happening to your son. Your school's principal is in the wrong, don't back down, request a meeting with the higher ups in your school district.