Back to Work, Back to School

1/22/2007 06:18:00 PM 3 Comments »
We had a great vacation and now we're just getting back into the groove. I went back to work at the college today and my first student was a little loopy and a lot of work. WOW! They could have at least eased me in, you know?

I learned something over the weekend. I ran into a girl that was in my Spanish class over a year ago. We were at about the same level in our education, so I was surprised when she told me that she is now teaching 2nd grade. WHAT?
ME- When did you get your credentials?
HER- Oh, I only have my AA. You don't need a degree to teach at a private school.

Really? Did everyone else know this except me? Do parents know this?? After telling people about this, I've learned that it's at the discretion of the institution. Who knew?

So, I'm looking into teaching at a private school. We'll see.

Another topic- Today is the anniversary of Roe V Wade. Women, we need to stay vigilant. And responsible. While I believe that every woman should be responsible for their bodies and use birth control when they don't want a baby-I realize that there are some circumstances when that doesn't happen, or when one of those little guys gets through. As a society, we are responsible for making sure that women retain control of their bodies.

Peace Out,
Mom

3 comment/s:

Well-heeled mom said...

I knew that you can sub without any degree or even experience as far as that goes, but I didn't know you could teach.

Anonymous said...

Catholic school girl chiming in - yes they are called Lay-Teachers. Usually the private school wants to see you working towards a goal of getting your credentials (sp), but they are not required. You, as a parent, are informed this upon entrance into school - though it's usually just assumed they are lay-teachers.

They're pay is significantally lower than that of credentialed teacher though. Out side of spelling, lol, I don't think my education suffered any and by high school MOST of my teachers had their full teaching degrees and were just using the private sector to get the experience you need under their belts.

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

Thanks!!! I still need to look into that...